05 January 2010

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

The Squeakquel essentially amounts to a terrible amalgam of everything that irritates me about bad children's media.

It is filled with very stale jokes, an extremely pointless plot, ugly, clunky, and charmless animation, actors who seem like it is a chore to be in the movie, oddly sexualized cartoon child-animals, and an incredibly short attention span both with regard to story and editing.

It addresses the audience as if neither children nor adults have any semblance of an imagination, intellect, or wit.

At best: boring. At worst: offensively bad.

Here's to hoping 2010 has something more to offer!
Happy New Year. The Phantasmagoria of Complaints continues.

4 comments:

  1. Can I just say, what were you expecting? :) And what were you thinking going to see this appalling display of hasty CGI and even hastier storytelling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to it with my nieces, and quite unwillingly I might add. I felt like the people in the angry family dinner skit from SNL the whole time.

    I did indeed have low expectations, but /The Squeakquel/ outdid every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do not talk to me like that!! I work too hard to deal with this stuff!! I work too hard!! I'm a Division Manager in charge of 49 people!! I drive a Dodge Stratus!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Edwin:

    ha ha ha yeah, exactly. Mostly I just sat in the theater silently, with my arms folded and my mouth in an exaggerated frown.

    :) SF trip coming up. You down to actually hang out this time?

    ReplyDelete