11 May 2010

Babies (2010)

Why are babies so appealing? Why is one and a half hours of a documentary about four babies without narration or a story of any sort not overkill?

Because… it’s about babies. It doesn’t really matter what you do to them. You can roll them in dirt, let them chew on bones, lint-roll them every ten seconds, allow them pee and poo all over the place. They’re surprisingly resilient and, evidently, develop fairly generically across the world, at least for the first year of their lives. Even the most cynical of moviegoers can likely appreciate this fact, even if not succumbing to the phantasmagoria of “Awwww!!!” moments Babies has to offer.

A sunshine-y cream puff fit for an afternoon’s worth of happy time.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed when I saw the trailer for this movie, because it is so unashamed in its exploitation of our socially ingrained fawning over BABIES. It's like, I don't have to do anything, here's some high quality images of babies. Look at how universally cute they are, despite the various political and economic contexts they are growing up in.
    I am expecting the follow-up film will be called PUPPIES (or, more broadly, ANIMAL BABIES).
    I'll admit, it was very hard to avoid seeing this movie, the trailer looked just so cute I became sickened with myself. But I persevered :).
    Glad you enjoyed it and it gave you happy time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that our fawning over babies isn't so much socially ingrained as humanly ingrained. We're supposed to think they're cute. If we focused too much on the poop and puke we'd never raise them to adulthood. :)

    ReplyDelete