02 July 2010

The A-Team (2010)

I thought this movie was oddly boring, considering its overbearing preponderance of supposed-to-be-riveting action sequences. Also, because The A-Team is based on a long-running TV series of the same name, and is essentially fan service to people who already have their own connections and obsessions with individual characters, the movie does not really include any compelling efforts toward creating audience/character empathy. Kind of a problem for me because I never watched the TV show.

Throughout the movie I felt like there was no point in watching it and I had no investment in whether the characters got what they wanted or not. I was relieved when it was over.

The only aspect I enjoyed was watching the guy from District 9 show everyone that he can act. Really well. His excellent performance in District 9 wasn't a fluke! I’ll look forward to watching him in future movies.

Clearly my opinion regarding The A-Team is going to the opposite of someone’s who used to watch the show all the time and is already highly invested in the characters and their misadventures.

The main point that I want to convey here is that The A-Team is not worth watching except to the already initiated. Unsurprising, maybe, but still disappointing.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! The guy from District 9 won all my love. Two radically different characters, very well portrayed indeed.

    ReplyDelete