28 September 2009

Top Ten Off the Top of My Head

People often ask me what my favorite movie is. I always find that type of question very difficult to answer.  Do I go with most entertaining?  Movies I have watched over and over?  Favorite genre of movies?  Favorite era? Director?  Whatever I think is "the best"? According to what standard?

So I decided to quit stressing and just make a list of the top ten that I can think of right now, without any hesitation.  This list will likely change over time, but hey.  Fodder for future posts.

In no particular order:

1) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
        I think it is quite beautiful. And it has a scene where a piglet gets drunk and runs around. It's silent yet its not annoying to sit through.

2) The Goonies (1985)
        I have seen it probably over a hundred times and it never ever gets old. Someday I shall go to Astoria, Oregon where it was set and walk around quoting the entire thing while listening to the soundtrack. Then I will have truly reached the pinnacle of annoying, but I will also feel fulfilled.

3) The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
        Amazingly complex, Wes Anderson's masterpiece in my opinion. Humor that never gets old, pathos that never goes stale. Excellent soundtrack.

4) Spirited Away (2001)
        So strange yet so engaging.  Hayao Miyazaki is one of my all time favorites. This movie tied with his rendition of Howl's Moving Castle (2004). Haven't seen Ponyo yet.

5) Boys Don't Cry (1999)
        Brutal, terrible, excellent. Not one I can watch over and over, but one that made me cry.

6) The Snowman (1982)
        Amazing colored pencil animation, lovely soundtrack, every kid's dream but with a touch of sadness.

7) Monkey Business (1931)
        Marx Brothers classic.  Hilarious gags from Groucho, Harpo, Chico and Zeppo.  The sort of movie where you can't stop laughing once you start. Especially the lemonade scene.

8) La cienaga (2001)
        The sort of movie where nothing happens, yet everything happens.  Brilliant colors and nuanced characters, even if you don't understand Spanish. Very honest.

9) Labyrinth (1986)
        David Bowie, goblin king and baby thief extraordinaire, wears tights and wigs and makeup while he attempts to foil Jennifer Connelly's efforts to rescue her little brother. Of course its a musical.

10) Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962)
        A gem of the French New Wave.  Shot in lovely black and white in Paris.  You'll think you hate the protagonist in the beginning, but by the end you'll cry too when she sings "Sans Toi."

So that's it. For now. Do you have your own list? Its fun to think about, especially when you put a limitation in number on your "favorites."

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I could do a whole top ten list dedicated to Mr. Cusack and his talented family. As I wrote the list it kept growing and growing, and I just cut it off at ten.

    Immediate ones that simply occurred to me too late were /Better Off Dead/, /Grosse Pointe Blank/, and /High Fidelity/. Not to mention /Addams Family Values/ and /Detroit Rock City/. Only one of those had nothing to do with Cusack.

    Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we could have an entire conversation just with quotes from some of those movies.

    Example:

    "That's frog work!"
    "Goonies never say die, Papi."
    "But, it smelled bad."

    The Snowman makes me depressed. Childhood nostalgia, I think. It was a wordless picture book, originally. I have to give credit to that as a librarian.

    ReplyDelete