23 September 2009

Welcome!

The Basics:
This is a blog which features my personal opinions on movies that I watch. The aim is to help readers decide whether or not they want to invest any time or money in watching a movie, and to get readers to think more about movies they have seen.

My Qualifications:
- I have opinions about movies. Have you ever met someone who said they liked pretty much every movie they saw? I'm not that person.
- I like to have conversations about my interests and hobbies-- in this case, (sometimes) popular entertainment.
- I have two degrees in Film Studies. What this means is that I watch a lot of movies and am fairly accustomed to writing about them and talking about them. What this does NOT mean is that I am willing or able to 1) validate your taste in film, 2) confirm or challenge your knowledge of movie trivia, or 3) back up your insider knowledge of production techniques and/or the "real meaning" behind scenes or dialogue.

My Standards:
- I would really like to avoid a star or grading system. For now. I'll try to outline what I liked and disliked about a movie and why, and you can judge where my opinion indicates that the movie might fall on your own scale.
- I try to watch a lot of different kinds of movies, but admittedly I do have genres and directors I favor as well as those I avoid. That being said, if you get obsessed with reading my blog and enjoy reading about my opinions (fingers crossed), and then find yourself wanting to know what I think about a particular film, I would not be averse to having a look.

Your Role:
- I want people to read and enjoy my blog. If you form an opinion, favorable or unfavorable, pertaining to my writing style, reviews, format, layout, etc, whatever, please feel free to comment. If you don't like the public-ness of commenting, you can make your post anonymously or email me directly.


Finally:
- Please enjoy! I am writing this blog for myself and others, and it is meant to be of some value to all parties involved. If you find yourself angrily swearing at my critiques or developing an irrational grudge against yours truly as a result of my terrible syntax and obnoxious vocabulary, just stop reading.


-Cait

4 comments:

  1. "I have opinions about movies."

    As far as I'm concerned, your qualifications could have stopped there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't downplay your qualifications! Put your degrees up first. You earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't downplay your qualifications. Put your degrees first on the list; you earned it.

    ReplyDelete