27 October 2009

Away We Go (2009)

I don’t know why this movie wasn’t more popular when it first came out. It is funny and pleasant, and it has a well thought out project.

John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph are very convincing as a couple in their mid-thirties who set out on a trip to find the place they want to raise their first child. Both actors are excellent in their respective roles—they successfully detach themselves from the strong personalities of their previous roles while somehow managing to achieve a level of chemistry and rapport that makes them seem like a real couple.

The believe-ability factor in their relationship is important because the other couples they go to visit are more caricatures of obstacles in parenting than they are living breathing people. Though amusing to me, these hyperbolic figures could definitely be annoying to some, if for no other reason than that their unreality serves as a rather harsh foil to Rudolph and Krasinski’s characters’ relationship.

Overall, I think Away We Go has been underrated. It definitely deserves a few hours of your Sunday evening.

3 comments:

  1. Spoiler alert:



    I think the ending reminded me of Todd Haynes' "Safe". The protagonists, utterly unable to cope with the outside world (whether due to allergens or the perceived imperfections of those around them) retreat to live in isolation.

    I actually sorta liked the film, but I also sorta like being snarky about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just now occurred to me that I might be spoiling "Safe" for you too. Sorry if you haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, I haven't seen it, but I would still watch it regardless of knowing the ending.

    Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete