09 February 2010

Edge of Darkness (2010)

Ok so… Mel Gibson with a Boston accent. Personal vendetta. Bad guys: watch out!

Sounds pretty ho-hum, right? I didn’t really want to see this movie either. I thought I knew everything about it from watching the previews. Friends, I was totally wrong.

Edge of Darkness is extremely intense in a "makes you squirm but you know you like it" kind of way. It also has some mind-blowing performances. The nuances of the writing allow the fairly hyperbolic set of characters to remain engaging. The editing is very cleverly done.

For these reasons I consider it to be a good movie. Well done, filmmakers. You delivered on the promise inherent to producing a film labeled “thriller.” I literally developed heartburn while watching because I got all caught up in the plot, which was significantly anxiety producing.

The only thing I had a problem with was the very last scene, but I won’t go into that here. It didn’t sour the overall effect of the movie, so I’ll leave you to pass your own judgment on it.

Make sure you watch this movie with someone else, because otherwise you’ll be freaked out and watching your back all way home. Scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment