01 March 2010

Shutter Island (2010)

Shutter Island seems to be the result of a bunch of people sitting down and brainstorming all the negative ideas or themes they could fit into one movie. Infanticide? Suicide? Arson? How about Nazi death camps? McCarthyism?! The atrocities of abuse in state run mental hospitals?!?! PTSD?!?!?!!!! Ooh, and catastrophic weather AND holes filled with RATS and a STAGGERING array of different kinds of SCARY SCARY PEOPLE AND AN INCREDIBLY OVERBEARING SCORE?!??!!!!!! GREAT LET’S DO ALL OF THAT.

And let’s have it happen in front of a green screen to save time and money.
With a bunch of really really good actors.
For two and a half hours.

No, but for serious, Shutter Island is a solidly (but not perfectly) produced example of surreal horror. There was a little too much going on in terms of plot for my taste and the ending seemed contrived, but that was definitely the entire point of the movie. And Leonardo DiCaprio’s accent was not even as bad as everyone was saying.

So if you can stomach a whole lot of sad/terrible themes, events, and imagery and you like horror and good acting, check it out! You shall not be disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. What I really want to know is can I watch it without someone to cling to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say... maybe? I don't know how not 'fraidy cat you are. I'm usually not /too/ bad, but I will admit that last night I was home alone trying to go to sleep and forcing some of the images from the movie out of my head. By thinking about Super Mario Brothers.

    If you are easily creeped out and decide on going by yourself I recommend going during the day and then hanging out with people afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally watched it (alone! at night!). I was comforted knowing I could think of Mario and Luigi if I had trouble sleeping.

    ReplyDelete