08 November 2009

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009)

This one isn’t worth saying too much about, other than that it is not as terrible as you may have heard.

It was a funny bit of fluff, quirky and entertaining at moments. Lots of silly pop-culture references. Some nicely executed slapstick. Big name actors running around willy-nilly in the desert.

Simply put, The Men Who Stare at Goats doesn’t strive to be too thoughtful or to get at any deeper themes. It just wants to give you a few chuckles and then let you move on with your day.

Probably best as a rental for when you’re bored and can’t find anything else.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, a definite "meh". I wish I had heard the lukewarm reviews beforehand.
    I thought many of the actors weren't used to their full potential... I wish they would have cast lesser-name people, and then the expectations wouldn't be as high. Wasting great acting talent on these roles made it painful to watch.
    Some great chuckle moments, but it fell apart with the LCD trip at the end for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the opposite about the actors! I actually think that if they had been no-name actors then the movie wouldn't have had any appeal at all. I thorougly enjoyed the big name, usually leading men making idiots of themselves.

    Also-- do you mean LSD? Way to nerd it up with your LCD reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, hilarious, I can't even get the drug name right. Yeah, LSD.

    ReplyDelete