15 November 2009

Pi (1998)

There was just no chance that I was going to like this movie, regardless as to whether or not it was entertaining, or even “good”. But before I tell you why I was predisposed to hate it, let me tell you about all the things I disliked about it. Deep breath. Here goes.

The all-synthesizer soundtrack. The constantly overexposed, hokey black and white imagery (Wow. Symbolic.). The disgusting excess of references to Un chien andalou (1929). The bad acting. The pseudo-math. The “headaches.” The ejaculate-like goo that mysteriously appears in the computer. The computer itself. The whole premise of the movie. Darren Aronofsky. The sound quality of the recorded dialogue. The faces of the actors involved. The inclusion of the game ‘Go.’ The fact that no one even eats any pie over the whole course of the movie. The pills. The cigarettes. Sean Gullette’s manner. The DVD menu. The title. The credits.

In the interest of keeping myself from some kind of enraged psychotic break, I will not continue. But let me be clear: my obviously polemical opinion regarding Pi is not a result of me thinking that this movie was “not good”. This blog isn’t about objectively good or bad anything. Even if you think this is the best movie ever, if it is your favorite movie, if you watch it every Thursday at 3:14pm; we can still be friends. But only as long as you have your reasons for liking it, just as I have mine for disliking it (see above laundry list of annoyances).

If you haven’t noticed already, most of my reasons for liking or disliking certain movies have to do with emotions the movies bring up in me, or connections I made between some aspect of the movie and other thoughts or emotions or events. Sometimes I make my motives clear, other times I leave them unsaid.

In the case of Pi, I would like to be frank. My irritable, impossible-to-please attitude stems from many tedious conversations in which some person tried to tell me that I had bad or (worse), naïve, taste in movies because I didn’t think Aronofsky, or any other hero-worshiped “genius” of a director, was as awesome as my partner in conversation thought. Wow, guy in a bar. Wow, girl at a party. Wow, professor leaning back in the chair, enlightening me on the subject of “auteurs”. You think your opinion entitles you to lord your taste over mine. Good for you. But I don’t buy it.

There are probably a lot of movies referencing Buñuel’s work that I would enjoy. I know there are movies with over exposed, black and white images that I could list among my favorites. I actually enjoyed The Fountain. And who doesn't love a couple of movies that they know have atrocious acting?

But goddamnit. I feel the way I feel about Pi because it reminds me of all the times someone tried to tell me I don’t know my own mind. And that’s just not right.

Hopefully, even after all this, you still want to go and figure out yours. That's the whole point.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! You go girl!

    I'm a fan of Aronofsky's work - at least, in the case of Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, and The Wrestler. But I really didn't enjoy Pi either - which seems to be sacrilegious to a lot of people for some reason.

    I just didn't get it. It felt like it was trying to be intellectual for the sake of being intellectual.

    And, as a fellow former film student, I always got sick of people liking certain "auteurs" just because other film know-it-alls considered them auteurs (or not liking other directors - ahem, Wes Anderson or Steven Spielberg - simply because they were too "mainstream"). Is pretension really a prerequisite to Art? (I guess if you capitalize "art" it is.)

    Idiots. A good movie is a good movie. Whether lots of people like it - or for some unknown reason few know about it. The few understanding it or liking it shouldn't be what makes it great. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is my favourite of all of your reviews to date, even though (or rather regardless of the fact that) I really enjoyed "Pi".
    Yeah, it was pretentious and quickly turned into an auteur favourite. I thought the script was very well structured and cleverly undermined the solipsistic character even as it also elevated him. Also, considering the film's production circumstances and budget, it had some very neat ways of turning indie-style negatives into virtues.
    But I can totally see why someone would find the film tedious, all the more so when it has been built up by people as a "must-love" canonical piece.
    Anyway, very funny and inspiring review! Really enjoyed it. Glad we can still be friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not like this movie at all. And not because other people have insisted I should like it (though I definitely know the feeling), but because, overall I found the entire plot ridiculous. And even more so, because the final scene is one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. And not disturbing in the intense thought-provoking sort of way, it just flat out made me feel sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! Thank you ladies for reading/commenting!

    :)

    ReplyDelete