13 December 2009

Into the Wild (2007)

I had the feeling that I really ought to like this movie, but somehow I just couldn’t. The problem is that I know Into the Wild means a lot to a number of people, including people I am close to. I think this appeal stems from the fact that the ideals expressed by the main character, Alexander Supertramp/Chris McCandless, namely giving up connections to money and possessions in favor of relying solely on oneself for strength and knowledge, are ideals that a lot of people (including me) have felt in one form or another over the course of their lives. I don’t think there is anything wrong with becoming frustrated by all the material responsibilities one faces as an adult, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with feeling disillusioned by hypocritical people, especially parents, which is another theme in the movie.

But my complete disappointment with the film lies not with its spoken ideals and themes, but rather with the delivery and presentation of said themes. From the very beginning I felt like the whole thing was very, very pretentious. There were too many long quotes from Thoreau, ponderous and badly done narration from Jena Malone (as the main character’s sister), and landscapes, landscapes, landscapes. It rang very hollow for me and I ended up irritated and bored by the end of it, just wanting it to be over because I got the point already.

It is not as though I thought there was no value to the movie at all. The scene when the old man asks to adopt Alexander was particularly poignant and well done. I liked the soundtrack, and I liked Vince Vaughn’s character even though I wasn’t entirely clear on the details of what he was actually doing. The scene with the dead moose was appropriately gruesome, and the random Swedish couple from the river were hugely amusing.

I guess at the end of the day I just could not buy into the mentality that Alexander Supertramp was actually doing something noble or valuable, and I was confused as to whether the movie was condoning his behavior or condemning it. A big part of the film was about showing how much his absence negatively affected his loved ones, but for me that aspect got overshadowed by the big ideas supposedly justifying the young man’s journey and behavior.

It seems I am left just as unable to articulate my thoughts regarding breaking away from everything and leaving civilization behind as the movie itself seemed to be. Perhaps I should want that kind of independence, but should know that I can’t realistically have it? Or is it that I could have that type of experience, but shouldn’t want it?

Difficult things to think about, and unfortunately delivered by Into the Wild in a rather clunky fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment