08 December 2009

Love Actually (2003)

When this movie first came out I watched it and I immediately hated it. In retrospect, my revulsion for Love Actually stemmed from my being at the height of my high school era “I’m so lonely and angry and no one gets me!” angst as well as a serious (perhaps irrational) grudge against Keira Knightley.

Recently, having ditched at least most of my adolescent personality issues and learned to accept (or at least give the benefit of the doubt) to Ms. Knightley, I thought I would generously offer Love Actually another chance. After all, there are tons of other good actors in it and it seems to be a Christmas favorite of a lot of people so why not.

Well my friends, this movie had all the charm of a month old stick of Juicy Fruit gum—a little sweet, a little sickening, overall hugely unimpressive and sure to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Love Actually is not bad enough to outright reject, but has few redeeming qualities that make it crave-able, at least for me.

I would much rather watch a movie that I felt strongly about, whether the film is outright rage-provoking or entirely delightful. Otherwise it just feels like I’m wasting my time in bland, inoffensive, “nice” way.

Not a great way to spend a holiday evening.

2 comments:

  1. I am 100% aware of how sickeningly sweet this movie is. That doesn't change the fact that it puts a smile on my face every time I watch it. Yes, it's cheesy, but the 'love is all around' message gets me every time. And you can't deny that Laura Linney's storyline had all the subtlety and substance that the other storylines lacked. It's not a great film, but it's an enjoyable little stroll through Feel Good, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I love the soundtrack. My Christmas is Badly Drawn Boy on repeat.

    ReplyDelete